Header Ads

LightBlog

Album: Emotion (Carly Rae Jepsen)


I started listening to Carly Rae Jepsen's album around 2 weeks ago, purely by chance. I was pleasantly surprised as I listened to one track after the other, because I'm the type of listener who gets tired of the same voice over and over again (which is why I'm usually into bands, I think). Anyway, what was amazing about CRJ's album was the amount of variety in terms of musical styles and the great writing! I looked it up on Wiki after listening to the album and apparently, she co-wrote literally all the songs, which really only served to boost the album even higher in my ... I guess, mental ranking. Haha.

Anyway, I quickly became addicted to her songs and started listening to the album on repeat for the next two days. I then learned she'd have a concert here in Manila (which was yesterday) and by some magic of the universe, I was able to attend for free! But that's for another post.

Here are some of my favorite tracks:

  • Run Away with Me: From the attention-catching beginning to the general 90's vibe of the song to the nostalgic lyrics - this is an example of a song that really hit all the right spots for me. I particularly like the melody of the ooh's, and the line And you make me feel like / I could be driving you all night. Ugh. So great.
  • Emotion: By default, I love most songs that have quiet and quick verses, more so ones with great writing. The game was pretty much over once we got to the How's the weather? Am I better? / Better now that there's no you. Gaaah.
  • Gimmie Love: At first I was doubtful of this song because the title seemed really juvenile, but this is actually on of my up-there favorites! So incredibly catchy and such a great hook. Cause I want what I want / Do you think that I want too much? MELTS.
  • Making the Most of the Night: It actually surprised me how much I loved this! It was really the rhythm of it that got to me. The chorus is immensely memorable. Love love love.
  • Your Type: I usually dislike songs that, as we say in Filipino, are ma-hugot. While I don't particularly relate with the song the way most people probably do, I really love how vividly she writes lyrics! The way she repeats I'll make time for you is just gaaah. Yes. And I love you, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I love you is pretty much fanfic waiting to be written. YES.
  • LA Hallucinations: This is probably my top fave because it's so fucking catchy. It makes me wanna dance forever and sing along passionately and yeah. I've never been to LA but I think this is a pretty accurate description of how it's portrayed to people who've never been there, haha! Buzzfeed buzzards and TMZ crows~
  • Favorite Color: This took a while, but it grew on me. It makes me feel things. I love song writing that's incredible personal like this, like it doesn't try to pander to everyone (like for example, That's What Makes You Beautiful, or songs of the like) - it just is what it is, and it tells a really personal story. Also, I can imagine people can get down with this song in the background, haha.

You can listen to these songs on Spotify or YouTube or anything like that! Do look up the album because it is incredible and incredibly worth it. CRJ is weirdly underrated but I haven't been so obsessed with a female solo act in a long while - but I'm glad it's with her! ♥




No comments